This winter ,shortly after Hapenny Magick was released, I was interviewed in Rhode Island by artist Erin Whalen in her studio/store called The Story Emporium. Here is the interview for your watching pleasure!
To Find a Wonder
Many of you know that my first children’s book, To Find a Wonder, was published in September of 2009. I’m really excited to tell you that my second book, Hapenny Magick will be released from Pugalicious Press late this fall. The same fabulous illustrator that worked on To Find A Wonder, Pat Ann Lewis-MacDougall is also illustrating Hapenny Magick, and she’s given me permission to share her process!
Below are preliminary sketches of Maewyn, the main character, and her best friend, Leif. The Protector of their village, called the Wedge, is Callum. He is a wizard with a very strange talent. Of course, I will be designing sewing patterns for the main characters– I knew some of you would be asking!
I have to apologize for my absence last week. Life got the best of me and my intentions to post!
The musical is over and the junior interns at the New London Barn Playhouse have moved on to rehearsing Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. And while I’m really looking forward to seeing this show, I’m sad that To Find A Wonder is done. Seeing my characters come alive by these fantastic young actors was fabulous, as was the lyrics, written by Brandon Michael Lowden and the Music by David Holtz, both graduates from Princeton.
At the Barn Playhouse we have a very small stage to work with as well as another show rehearsing and performing at the same time. The sets have to be made interchangeable. To Find A Wonder shared a set with the musical, Hairspray, if you can believe it. It worked wonderfully!
I had a chance to work with the kids in making the frog prince puppet. We used the same type of fleece that the Muppets are made from. We gave him ping pong eyeballs as well and a red tongue that flashed every time his was opened. The audience seemed to enjoy his funny love song to Mortimer.
Josh (the director & choreographer) and Camille ( the music director) spent some time teaching Aaron the basics of Puppetry–when to open open the puppet’s mouth as he’s speaking, etc. He did an awesome job of dancing, singing and puppetry all at the same time. Even mom was impressed = )
The show itself went through some changes, as all new shows must. Lines were added, lines were cut, music was trimmed, props and puppets were made. After 9 days ( yes! only 9 days!) the show was performed. It amazes me every time I see a performance that this company of kids, aged 11-17 have done this in so few rehearsal days! I was grateful to be a part of this summer’s line up and to have such a great acting troupe perform my story.
The week of dress rehearsal flew by! On Monday we were still paper mache-ing the horse! Percival still needed to be painted and the show was only two working days away! Somehow, it all came together, amazingly enough, and it was through the hard work of our New London Barn playhouse staff to be sure!
But others had a hand in it too– like me! Thursday morning I was still trying to finish costume pieces, without a sewing table! And then we were off to rehearsal.